There's a relentless pace to the ever changing ICT industry as companies race against one another to stay competitive and modern in the ever-changing technology market. Technology advances at increasing speed with the development of more mobile devices, wearable technologies, such as smartwatches, and better globalized means of connectivity. Many companies see that the current trends and modes of operation are already becoming obsolete. The app-development culture of just a year ago is being rolled over by cloud computing and social media. It's also getting harder to keep the attention of the younger, newly developed Millennials, who make up the majority of new technology consumers going into 2017.
The Ericsson Group, a multinational networking and telecommunications services company, has come up with a list of the top five trends that will direct the course of the ICT industry in 2017. According to Ericsson, the key to long-term success lies in a company's ability to understand change almost before it happens, and then seize the opportunity to shape and evolve technologies to meet the trend. These five key technology trends will stimulate innovation in smart devices, VR and AI techniques and cloud computing and sourcing.
- First, technology is going to start spreading intelligence throughout the cloud. Connected smart machines (i.e. robots and autonomous vehicles) comprise the fundamentals to an evolving, networked society. Utilizing an enhanced cloud architecture, that distributes and shares machine intelligence, will connect smart devices together, enabling concerted intellectual performance at much higher levels.
- Second, there will be a higher degree of sensory development as technology is combined to increase data collection and analysis. This involves utilizing artificial intelligence techniques, which will ultimately collect massive amounts of data from a massive sensory network. This web of sensors will be merged and processed to create a high-level vantage point to review a given system.
- The third trend is an expansion of the first three: a feeling, interactive Internet. The internet is evolving year after year, introducing virtual reality and holographic interfaces to create a more expansive experience for users. 2017 will mark the beginnings of an evolution in web connectivity, where the interactions of humans and machines will begin to add more heightened experiences and sensations, bringing about a more intuitive and personalized Internet experience.
- The fourth trend is more in the field of networking and connections-based technologies. Communications networks fall into many categories, from social media to global video conferencing. There will be a definitive trend, according to Ericsson, that will fundamentally alter the way we network with one another and with the rest of the world.
- The fifth trend focuses on security and privacy, online. With so much of our personal information online, from our financial records to our favorite recipes, cyber security and general privacy are very serious issues for everyone, especially consumers, corporations and government agencies. With the rise of so many more connected and accessible technologies, as the previous trends point out, all of that convenience needs to be secured and it's the most vital trend to look out for in the coming year.