Everyone has a different way of looking for telecom equipment. Here is a little cheat sheet to help you find the right company, the right equipment at the right price.
Ask these questions from all of your suppliers and you can't go wrong. I even recommend asking the vendors you currently have been dealing with a long time. It is a must on the vendors you haven't delt with before.
- Is this in stock? If it is not, and you know a good price you need to pay, tell them what you can pay (tell them a real price). If the item is in stock it should arrive within 7 business days from coast to coast.
- How long do I have to wait for equipment? If the answer is longer than 2 weeks, tell them you may have to check around. If they are worth their salt they will tell you, " No that is OK. I will keep working to see if I can get it sooner"
- What is the condition of the equipment? Is it new, used or refurbished? This is a critical question. In my opinion it is only new if it comes direct from manufacture. It is considered new surplus if it is in manufacture box and unit appears unused but comes from someone other than a manufacture. Unused is equipment that appears new but not in a manufacture box. Used equipment is self explanitory. Refurbished equipment is equipment that appears to have been worked on, tested, painted and cleaned.
- Is the equipment tested? In my opinion it is much better to pay a little extra knowing a product works. It is a huge pain in the a@$ if you get all the way out to your remote site and it does not work.
- Does the equipment have a warranty? Don't buy anything that does not come with at least a 30 day warranty. This will save you time, money and head ache in the long run.
- Don't just buy new equipment. I have seen this time and time again. Customers get pushed into buying equipment because the manufacture tells you it is outdated. The equipment works fine, techs like it and then BAM. You have to start the process all over again. Take equipment out, train techs and find a place for the old stuff. Then when you need to order more of the new equipment there is a 12 week lead time. SingleSource can help you with all of your buying, selling and repairing. Plus, it will save you tons of money. Chances are we can ship same day.
- Do they answer the phone? This is huge! This is getting to be a major problem in all businesses. SingleSource answers the phone. If you have to press a bunch of numbers and extentions... hang-up and call someone that wants to talk to you. Eliminate those that will not talk to you.
- Do they get back to you in a timely manner? It should never ever take more than a day to get back to you. If it does eliminate them.
- Have a forcast of equipment you will need in the future. If you wait until you need it and you blast it all over the place guess what happens? Vendors are buying to try and get it off the market. Prices go up. You get tons of phone calls, emails, follow-ups and on and on. It is always better to have a supply of water before the fire.
- Do you have equipment to get rid of ? Companies like SingleSource buys equipment, gives you discounts, or trades for equipment. Again, saving you time and money. Click on tab to find out we are looking for.